- 4 medium zucchini/courgette
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the egg, marinara sauce, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160° and zucchini are tender. Serve with additional marinara sauce. (Yield: 4 servings.)
Nutritional Facts of Zucchini
2 stuffed zucchini halves (calculated without additional sauce) equals 394 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 134 mg cholesterol, 602 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Health benefits of zucchini (courgette)
- One of the very low calories vegetable that is used during weight reduction and cholesterol control programs. Zucchinis provide only 17 calories per 100 g. Contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Its peel is good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offers some protection against colon cancers.
- It is a very good source of potassium, an important intra-cellular electrolyte. Potassium is a heart friendly electrolyte; helps reduce blood pressure and heart rates by countering effects of sodium.
- Fresh fruits are rich in vitamin A, provide about 200 IU per 100 g.
- As a high-fiber food, zucchini can also contribute to colon health, including protection against colon cancer, as well as helping lower cholesterol levels.